Product Import/Export Fields
The following fields are available when exporting products from Checkout to Excel, Numbers, Comma-separated (CSV) file, or Tab-separated (TSV) file:
Product Export Fields
|Price Ex||Retail Price Excluding Sales Tax|
|Price In||Retail Price Including Sales Tax|
|Has Serial||TRUE or FALSE|
|Has Stock||TRUE or FALSE|
|Minimum||Minimum Stock Amount|
|Stock||Quantity in Stock|
|Sell Stop||TRUE or FALSE|
The following fields are used when importing products to Checkout from Comma-separated (CSV), or Tab-separated (TSV) files:
Product Import Fields
|Default Cost||Default Cost||Optional|
|Needs Serial||TRUE or FALSE||Required|
|Has Physical Stock||TRUE or FALSE||Required|
|Sell Stop||TRUE or FALSE||Required|
|Quantity||Quantity in Stock||Optional|
|Purchase Price||Purchase Price||Optional|
In Checkout 4, when importing you can optionally indicate whether the price includes or excludes sales tax.
In Checkout 3, when importing products, you can only import the default Price (excluding tax). Checkout 3 will automatically calculate the Price Including Tax based upon the Product's Tax(es).
Importing File Format
Checkout will import text files with .csv, .tsv and .txt extensions.
When importing Quantity, the result in Checkout will be the sum of the current Checkout quantity, and the value in the imported quantity field. If the imported value is positive, it will be added to the Checkout quantity; if the imported quantity value is negative, it will be subtracted from the Checkout quantity.
If Quantity values are imported, Checkout will create the following journal entry:
- If the imported quantity value is positive: Debit Stock, Credit Creditors
- If the imported quantity value is negative: Debit Creditors, Credit Stock
- If no Default Cost is set, and No Default Price is selected for import, no journal entry will be made, but product inventory will be updated with the quantity indicated
(Check Checkout Account Configuration for an explanation of account usage.)
Field Size Limits
There are no field size limits for the Product Description and Customer Inspector Extra Info fields.
Product Variations are exported as individual products. On import, if the variations match current Product Variations, those variations will be processed as variations, according to the import option selected (i.e., Update product info, Are not imported, etc.), otherwise product variations will be imported as individual products. You cannot add variations to a Product using this feature. In a new file, product variations will be imported as individual products; you cannot create variations using this feature.
Import / Export Process
Importing Products into Checkout
- In the Checkout dropdown menu, select Manage Checkout Stores and backup your Store
- Select File > Import Products (Manager login required)
- If the input file contains column headers, Checkout 4 will
attempt to match the input columns to the Checkout fields.
Otherwise, match the fields:
- Code to Item Number
- Name to Name
- Description to Description
- Price to Selling Price
- Default Cost to Default Cost
- Indicate True or False, as appropriate for
- Needs Serial
- Has physical stock
- Sell stop
- Check mark Import Stock levels to import product
- Indicate the Quantity field from the import file
- Select to use either Default Cost or No purchase price for journal entry posting (see note above)
- You can also optionally select to apply default taxes.
- Checkmark Do not import this product so that a Product is not created from the Header Record's fields
- Click Import
Export Items from AccountEdge
- Select File > Export Data > Items
- Leave Default options; select Continue
- In Field matching window, select
- Item Number,
- Item Name,
- Selling Price and
- Standard Cost.
- If you have fields in the AccountEdge company file with data
- Brand or
- Barcode, you can select those fields as well.
- Click Export and save the file, appending a .txt extension to the file name.